Tuesday, March 4, 2014

It's been quiet here

Yeah, it has been one month since my last post.

I'm really not sure why I haven't felt like blogging lately.

I'm in a dry spell.  I don't know which of my feelings to share.  What thoughts will resonate with my readers?  What ideas would be edifying to the adoption community?

So for now, here's a quick update on where we are in the adoption process:

There are basically three steps to go through during this "between trips" waiting period.
  1. I800 approval
  2. Article 5 approval
  3. Court approval
We submitted our I800 just a couple of days before we left on our first trip, and we received approval on February 16. Then, our Article 5 was issued and submitted to the Minister of Justice in Bulgaria just yesterday, March 3. So, now we wait a month for the MOJ to approve our Article 5. Then, it's on to the court phase.

The question that everyone asks, of course, is "When will you get to bring her home?" We are not getting our hopes up for any certain date, buuuut, IF everything goes as expected, we have been told that we may get to travel on trip #2 to pick up Miss Ivelina in late May.  

Some of my family members have offered to host a small adoption shower for us, and I am really looking forward to it.  

If you missed any of our posts about trip #1, check them out:



3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys even though I don't' know you (found out about you on Give1Save1) and I'm praying specifically for Bulgarian adoptions! Will pray everything goes well for getting Ivie in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your blog by chance tonight (I am supposed to be wrapping up my Master's thesis) and I know it was a "God Thing"! My husband and I are also adopting a little girl from Bulgaria. We are about two month's ahead of your family in the process. I was really missing my little girl tonight and went searching for some ideas on gifts to give the orphanage workers and well I ended up here :)

    In one of your posts, you asked for ideas on overcoming the language barrier. Our daughter just turned 10 last Thursday and she also has some special needs. She can not read or write. I am currently working on a flip book for her for the language barrier. It is a useful tool for expediting language acquisition for children with speech delays. It is a book of picture cue cards. If the child gets frustrated and can't say the word so that it is understandable or just does not want to speak, they can find the picture and point. I am of course modifying my daughter's book because of her age. I am including both the Bulgarian and English translations so that I can say the word in her language and she can see it in English. I am using a three ring binder so that I can add to the book as needed. I would be happy to share pictures or email you Word documents if you would like. Also, my husband writes a blog on our adoption journey if you would like to read it. The address is hollisadoptionbulgaria.blogspot.com. I know it is nice to know that you are not alone in this crazy ride and to be encouraged by how God is working in the lives of these children and the families trying to bring them home.

    Thanks for the blog!

    Amy
    Carlsbad, New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy and Shelly, I just saw that you live in NC. If you don't mind me asking, where in NC? We are adopting an older child from Bulgaria, and we live in the Charlotte area. It would be awesome if we could get together after we both have our kids home! I'm also on the Bulgaria Adoption group on FB if you want to contact me there. Thanks! Michelle Simmonds

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love