Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ivelina's Room...step two completed!

You may remember my very first post about getting Ivelina's room ready.  You can read it here.  Well, painting the room was step one and furnishing the room is step two.  I am so happy to reveal a furnished room which has quickly become my favorite room in the house!

This room was really a team effort.  I did almost all of the painting, my mom made all the things made out of fabric: bed spread, sham, cushion for the toy box, and curtains.  My dad purchased the beautiful new bed, chest, and nightstand.  And my wonderful husband hauled and assembled everything.  What a wonderful family project!  Here's what we have so far:

 Jeremy did a great job of reading the directions!  This bed came in lots of pieces of wood, but it sure came together nicely!

 
Assembling the box for the trundle bed was probably the most challenging part of this project, but Jeremy did a fantastic job.  I helped some.  I can at least say I did insert at least a few screws into this bed!  I mostly held and interpreted the instructions.

Once the trundle was assembled and the slats were in place, it was time to assemble the storage drawers, which also came in several pieces of wood.



Bed-- finished!  We placed the mattresses in place and then realized that this bed is HUGE!  It takes up a whole wall of her tiny room.  It sits very high, and we know Ivelina will not be used to sleeping in such a tall bed.  So, we hope to get a little stool for her so she can climb up and down.  We do hope once she gets used to the new height, she will love it!



My mom, sis, and I met at a fabric store about a month ago, and I brought all my paint samples from this room.  We chose fabric colors to match the colors in the border I painted.  Then, my mom made this beautiful bedspread and pillow sham.  We do not have a regular pillow or sheets yet, so this photo was just to see if the quilt fit properly.  It's a perfect fit and the colors are a perfect match!


 Another view of the other end of the bed.  My dad found a little pink reading lamp at a yard sale for $2.  It fits nicely into this big girl room!



 Next, we added a new curtain rod and curtain (made by my mom).  The curtain really brought the room together and the pink reading light casts a soft pink glow over the room at night.  I love it!



 The toy box we painted had to be moved to the closet.  As you can see, the closet is pretty empty right now.  We do have one gorgeous little dress that my aunt gave me.  I sure hope it fits Ivelina, but at this point, we have no idea what her sizes will be.  



 We had to move my old antique mirror to another wall beside the closet.  I love this mirror that belonged to my grandparents.  I do hope that Ivelina will be kind to it.


We have been so blessed to have her room practically ready this summer.  It was my hope that we could get all this done before school starts back, and we were able to do just that with the help of so many others!  There's something strange and exciting to walk by this room and peer in, to sit on the bed and fluff up the pillow, and to know that one day soon our little gal will be sleeping there and playing there.  Someday, that chest of drawers will be full of little girl clothes, the closet will most likely be brimming with girly shoes and dresses, and that toy box will be stuffed with fun things to play with.  Someday, but not just yet.


Step three will be to do exactly that: to stock up on the little things: clothes, shoes, toys, bedding, and toiletries we will need for Ivelina.  I will, of course, post more about that step in a few more months.  

As far as adoption news goes, we have none right now!

We are just waiting and hoping and praying for our girl.

In other areas of life, Jeremy and I have a lot going on.  We are about to embark on our fifth full-time semester at seminary; this will most likely be our last one as we anticipate possibly taking the Spring 2014 semester off.  Hopefully, we'll have a little one to focus on and care for during that time.  I am just finishing up the developmental summer class that I taught at the community college, and I am preparing for a busy fall semester of more teaching and tutoring at our local Early College.  I'm also taking a very quick mini-trip to Florida next week to see my nephew graduate from Navy school.  Jeremy is working overtime hours lately and he is also preparing for our fall semester at seminary.  We have been enjoying Thursday morning dates this summer, and we plan to continue this protected date time even when life gets craaazy here in a few weeks.  


BIG PRAISE!  Look at that Brittany's Hope fundraising thermometer on the right of our blog!! We're just about to the halfway point folks!  We would love to have this matching grant fully funded in the month of August.  Now is a great time to donate because every donation gets doubled by Brittany's Hope.


Thanks for reading y'all!

~Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love