Friday, January 10, 2014

#changeofplans #wehatekidneystones

If I tweeted and if I even had a smart phone, those would be my hash-tags from the past couple of weeks.

Yes, we have had a big change in travel plans due to a certain husby getting a very large kidney stone.

When we first realized that his stone was way too big to pass and he would have to undergo surgery, we were still hopeful that all would be well before our trip to Bulgaria (which was originally leaving tomorrow). Unfortunately, it took the surgeon two tries and a lot of extra days to get this stone taken care of.  I am happy to say that as of about 9 p.m. last night, the stone is no more!  Jeremy just has a few days of recovery to get through and a few meds to take. We are praying that early next week, he will be back to 100%.

For both of us, this kidney stone situation has created SO much stress.  Jeremy has missed some days of work that he was planning on saving for adoption travel days. He's been in a lot of pain for a week or so now, and he hasn't been eating or sleeping very well.  Medical bills have started pouring in. Then, there were the plane tickets that were already booked to stress about.  We really didn't want to change our flight plan, and we actually didn't make the changes until today. But, we know this trip is so very important.  It's supposed to be a fun trip full of play and bonding and learning about our girl. We wanted to both travel in good health and without being on bunches of medications. So when we learned his 2nd surgery was going to happen two days before our departure, we decided to move the trip up another week.  

Right now, we have booked a new flight plan for Jan. 18-25 and we are praying that we will both be well and feeling 100% for this important step in our adoption journey.

We are so happy that the kidney stone thing happened while we were still here and not while we were in Eastern Europe.  We are also thankful that our travel agent at Adoption Airfare suggested that we purchase travel insurance.  I am so thankful that our stress level is starting to decline.

Now, we are looking forward to leaving in ONE WEEK!  It's crazy to think that on this night next week, I'll be folding and rolling clothes, gathering all my toys and goodies for Ivie, and digging out our passports.  Hopefully, I'll have a chance to blog again this week.  If not, I am planning on blogging from Bulgaria, so please check back for photos and updates from Europe!

Thanks for reading!


  1. So glad things are working out and you have new travel date. Still prayers for hubby and of course your journey. Love Adoption Associates, they changed my travel dates when I was on pickup trip and my daughter was too sick to travel.

  2. I'm sorry to hear that Jeremy was sick! I can't wait to read about your trip! :)


Leave some love